Causes Volunteers at the San Francisco Food Bank
Hover over image and use the arrows to scroll or click to view the photo gallery
Causes Employees Practice What They Preach
The Causes team is dedicated to building a campaigning platform that gives ordinary people the power to do extraordinary things. In order to keep in touch with activism’s offline side, we believe it’s important to get out of the office and give back to the local community.
Since it’s the holiday season and we’re in the giving mood, we decided to pitch in at the San Francisco Food Bank to help end hunger in San Francisco and Marin counties. The SF Food Bank serves daily meals to people who are “food insecure”. In other words, people who don’t know when their next meal will be.
The program relies on volunteers to help feed 225,000 people each and every day!
Here are some pretty incredible statistics the SF Food Bank is reporting for the year:
- 46 million pounds of food will be delivered throughout San Francisco and Marin counties (more than half of it fresh produce direct from the farm)
- 105,000 meals worth of food will be distributed each and every day
- 30,000 families will receive wholesome foods at our pantries each week
- 11,000 children will be served fresh, healthy snacks in the classroom each school day
- 450 nonprofit partners will rely on the SF Food Bank to supply their meal and food programs
- 240 farmer’s market-style pantries will provide foods that people can use to prepare healthy meals in their own homes
In total, the Causes team helped package over 20,000 pounds of carrots, 10,000 pounds of oranges and 1,500 pounds of pasta (check out the photo gallery above). It felt great to lend a hand and take a break from the endless lines of code that stream down most of our computer screens. Plus, no one needed to go to the gym that evening.
Check out the short video below and let us know how you plan on giving back this holiday season in the comments below!